June 6, 2007

Saint Cupcake (407 NW 17th)

add to kirtsy

Cupcakes are all the rage these days and Portland is right on the band wagon. Saint Cupcake is Portland's representative cupcakery.

I heard the owners tell their story once when I went to see Live Wire! and I had to restrain myself from running up on stage to taste the cupcakes the interviewer was tasting. The names of the cupcakes were irresistably charming. Check out their website for a full menu of cupcakes, including: Big Top, Red Velvet and Turtle.

Tonight I had one called Fat Elvis. Banana Chocolate Chip Pound Cake with Peanut Butter Fudge Frosting. Sound too rich? Yeah, that's what I thought. Let me ease your mind. It was not too rich. It was perfectly wonderful.

I also had two dot-sized cupcakes: vanilla toffee with chocolate buttercream and toasted coconut cream. If I were to describe the experience of eating them it would involve words like buttery, sugary, delish [damn you Rachel Ray], amazing and would also involve a description of the moist crumbs escaping my lips to fall bouncily down my shirt. But all of that would be hopelessly inadequate and would not give you a description that measures up to these little delights. You simply must try them for yourself!

Okay, well, I better get to bed to have sweet dreams and a small heart attack. Another post tomorrow!


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

My favorite thing is that they come in a bite size. I am not a big cake person and it is just the perfect amount. And, yes Damn Rachel Ray, she has her place but not at my place that is for sure.

Hey, It's Ansley said...

Yum! Definitely on the list of places to go next time I'm in Portland.